We recently ran a survey of 3,000 online gamers to determine which states are most affected by insomnia induced specifically by extended gaming hours. Check out the interactive map below for the fascinating results.
• Geographic Distribution: The states with the highest percentage of sleep-deprived gamers due to prolonged online gaming sessions are Texas (79%), Virginia (77%), Minnesota (77%), Delaware (75%), and Vermont (75%).
• Unexpected Local Results: Contrary to popular belief, cities like San Francisco, known for their tech presence, did not top the list in their respective states. For instance, San Bernardino surpassed San Francisco, with 27.4% of its local gaming population lacking sufficient sleep.
• Widespread Issue: The study combined national survey data with official data from County Health Rankings, indicating that sleep deprivation induced by extended online gaming is not confined to isolated pockets but is a concern that affects various regions across the nation.
• Mental and Physical Health Concerns: Although online gaming such as Klondike Solitaire provides many benefits, including combating loneliness and fostering cognitive growth, the associated sleep deprivation poses significant risks to gamers' mental and physical health.
• Opportunity for Intervention: Understanding which states and cities are most affected provides a targeted opportunity for health professionals and policymakers to implement interventions, awareness campaigns, and resources specifically tailored to those communities.
• Public Perception & Responsibility: Game developers and online gaming platforms may need to address the issue proactively by integrating features or reminders that encourage breaks and emphasize the importance of sleep, thus helping foster a more balanced gaming lifestyle.
Online panel survey of 3,000 adults based on age, gender, and geography. Internal data sources are used to obtain population data sets. We used a two-step process to ensure representativeness through stratified sampling and post-stratification weighting. Survey results were then combined with official data from County Health Rankings.